Which Expenses Can I Claim?

Your ability to claim a tax refund depends on the nature of your expenses, and the specific rules and guidelines set by HMRC (Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs). Here is a list of common expenses that employees may be able to claim tax relief on:

You will find detailed below a list of circumstances which if met, could allow you to claim a tax refund:

1Business Travel Expenses:

If you use your own vehicle to travel to temporary worksites, you may be able to claim tax relief on mileage expenses. HMRC sets approved mileage rates.

Costs incurred for work-related travel to temporary worksites using public transportation, such as trains or buses.

If you need to stay overnight for business purposes, accommodation costs may be eligible for tax relief. You will also be entitled to claim for a £25 Meal Allowance and £5 Personal Incidental Expenses.

2Work Uniform and Protective Clothing:

The cost of purchasing, cleaning, and maintaining work uniforms or protective clothing required for your job. You can either claim the value on your receipts or use the allowance set to your profession by HMRC.

3Professional Fees and Memberships:

Membership fees for professional bodies or organizations directly relevant to your job. You will need to confirm whether the professional body is listed on HMRC's 'List 3'.

Costs associated with maintaining professional licenses or certifications required for your employment.

4Tools and Equipment:

Expenses related to the purchase, repair, and maintenance of tools and equipment necessary for your job.

5Working from Home:

Costs associated with working from home, such as a proportion of utility bills, internet costs, and office supplies.

6Training and Development:

Costs of training courses directly related to your job or career development.

Expenses for books, journals, or subscriptions that enhance your skills and knowledge in your profession.

7Miscellaneous Expenses:

If you are required to use your personal phone for work purposes, you may be able to claim tax relief on a portion of your phone costs.

Some professional subscriptions and memberships may qualify for tax relief.

Certain employee pension contributions may be eligible for tax relief.

8How to Claim Tax Relief:

Keep detailed records of expenses, including receipts and supporting documentation.

Consult a recognised specialist, such as Go Tax Refunds.

It's important to note that claiming tax relief is subject to specific rules, and eligibility criteria vary. Tax rules can change, so it's advisable to check the latest guidance on the HMRC website or consult with a tax professional, such as Go Tax Refunds, for personalised advice based on your individual circumstances.